Alec Baldwin pleads not guilty in shooting
Actor Alec Baldwin pleaded not guilty to the felony charge of manslaughter in the shooting of a cinematographer on the set of a western movie, and waived his first formal court appearance, in court documents filed Thursday.
Baldwin and the weapons supervisor were charged last month with felony manslaughter in the shooting death of cinematographer Halina Hutchins, who died shortly after being injured during a rehearsal at a ranch outside Santa Fe in October 2021.
Baldwin agreed to withhold the hearing to have his rights explained. A judge on Thursday set a release condition that would allow Baldwin to limit his contact with potential witnesses in connection with his plans to complete filming of “The Last.”
Prosecutors and defense attorneys are gearing up for preliminary hearings scheduled in the coming months to determine if there is good cause to go to trial.
Other provisions of Baldwin’s pretrial release include a ban on drinking alcohol and the possession of weapons, including firearms.
“Defendants are only permitted to contact potential witnesses…in connection with the completion of the ‘Rust’ film and other related and unrelated business matters. Discussing is not permitted.Judge Mary Marlowe said in the signed order:
Involuntary manslaughter charges against ‘Rust’ lead actor and co-producer Baldwin and armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed are punishable under New Mexico law with up to 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine .
Officials said Baldwin was pointing a pistol at Hutchins when the gun fired, killing her and injuring director Joel Souza.