World

Canada to send another $30M to Turkey, Syria as earthquake rebuild work starts – National

The federal government has sent an additional $20 million in aid to those affected by the devastating earthquakes in Turkey and Syria, matching millions more with private donations.

In addition to a matching donation of $10 million to the Canadian Red Cross, Canada will make a matching donation of $10 million to members of the Humanitarian Coalition, said Minister for International Development Harjit Sajan.

read more:

Turkey earthquake: Canadian family say embassy let them down after sister killed

Read the following:

Part of the Sun breaks free, forming a strange vortex that baffles scientists

The announcement comes after the United Nations called for more help and a group of Canadian parliamentarians urged the government to expand donation matching to more organizations.

A humanitarian coalition of members Oxfam, Plan International and World Vision is providing emergency food, water, sanitation and medical services.

The story continues under the ad

Two large earthquakes and hundreds of aftershocks hit the region on February 6, damaging tens of thousands of buildings and killing more than 47,000 people.


Click to play video: 'Turkey earthquake: Nova Scotia brothers criticize response of Canadian embassy in Ankara'


Turkey earthquake: Nova Scotia brothers criticize response of Canadian embassy in Ankara


More than one million people are staying in temporary accommodation such as gyms, stadiums, hotels and dormitories with limited access to essential services, according to the United Nations Children’s Fund, UNICEF.

“Children and their families who survived the earthquake now face homelessness, food and water shortages, and nighttime temperatures regularly dropping below freezing.

Turkish authorities said on Friday that preparatory work had begun on building houses for those displaced by the devastating earthquake.

Environment, Urbanization and Climate Change Minister Murat Kulm tweeted that excavations were underway in the towns of Nurdagi and Islahiye in Gaziantep province and that the government would initially build 855 houses. Stated.

The story continues under the ad

read more:

At least 3 killed, hundreds injured as another quake strikes in Turkey and Syria

Read the following:

Exclusive: Widow’s 911 call before James Smith Cree Nation murder reveals previous violence

The work was done less than three weeks after the magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck. Turkish authorities say about 173,000 buildings, including about 534,000 apartments or other units, were destroyed or severely damaged in the earthquake.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who faces tough elections in May or June, has promised to rebuild homes by the end of the year, but critics say moving too quickly could lead to substandard housing construction. I warn you that it is possible.


Click to play video: 'Turkey and Syria under new stress after two new quakes'


Turkey, Syria under new stress after two new quakes


Opposition parties also blame the extent of the disaster on the Erdogan government, which has been in power for the past two decades, accusing it of failing to enforce building regulations.

Experts said many of the collapsed buildings were constructed with poor materials and methods and often did not comply with government standards.

The story continues under the ad

Earlier on Friday, President Erdogan issued a decree allowing individuals, businesses or organizations to build homes and offices and donate them to the province of Qurum.

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag said late Thursday that 583 contractors or other people suspected of being responsible for the collapsed building were being investigated and 171 had been arrested.

— with files from the Associated Press.

© 2023 The Canadian Press

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button