Hockey Canada: 2018 junior players ineligible for international competition
Hockey Canada says players on its 2018 World Junior Hockey Team will not be considered for international competition until an investigation into an alleged sexual assault involving a member of the team is completed.
In a statement obtained by The Canadian Press Monday night, Hockey Canada said the decision was made earlier this year and is pending “the completion of the investigation and adjudication process into the alleged 2018 incident.” He indicated that the players on the team were not taken into consideration.
Hockey Canada said the decision has been communicated to the management group for the Hockey World Championships scheduled for May 12-28 in Tampere, Finland and Riga, Latvia.
The statement comes hours after a congressional committee unanimously passed a motion ordering Hockey Canada to submit a report from its investigation into the 2018 allegations.
Heinen Hutchison Robitaille LLP was hired by Hockey Canada to conduct the independent research.
A motion to hold a meeting of the Heritage Committee on Safe Sport, filed by Conservative MP Kevin Waugh, ordered Hockey Canada to submit the law firm’s completed report within 24 hours.
“I’ve heard that Henin Hutchinson has filed a report with Hockey Canada and I hope to receive it here in the near future for review,” Waugh said.
The motion passed with an amendment from liberal MP Chris Bittle to redact the report for privacy purposes before submission.
Waugh later told The Canadian Press that the report would need to be translated into French.
“A letter will be sent to Hockey Canada today,” Waugh said.
“Hopefully they will give us the report by Hennin Hutchinson, so we can translate it.”
News broke in May that a member of the 2018 World Junior Team was accused of being gang-raped after the Hockey Canada gala event in London, Ontario.
As part of the fallout, an independent investigation into the allegations by HHR (then Henin Hutchison), mandated by Hockey Canada, was reopened.
Partner Daniel Robitaille said the investigation was closed in 2018 after petitioners failed to provide a statement before the estate commission’s hearing on the scandal in July.
Robitaille said he contacted Hockey Canada and asked for authority to reopen the investigation after learning that the complainant planned to participate.
This report by the Canadian Press was first published on March 27, 2023.